When will Blue Jeans support Chromebook?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Photo of Michael Schneider

Michael Schneider

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Alex Willen

Alex Willen

• 896 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Michael,

Excellent question! We're in the process of developing a WebRTC client that does not require a plugin and will work with Chromebook. No specific ETA at the moment, but if you follow this question we'll provide more information as it's available.

Thanks,
Alex
Photo of Karen Huffman

Karen Huffman, Champion

• 1,972 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
We are increasing our Chrome OS usage. This would be a huge step forward if Blue Jeans could work on these devices. Please let us know if you can share if there's plans to roll-out/get it working this quarter / this year? Thank you.
Photo of Peter Burke

Peter Burke

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for chasing this one up, Karen. Blue Jeans missing a huge opportunity given that Skype/Lync is not going to run on Chromebooks anytime soon!
Photo of Karen Huffman

Karen Huffman, Champion

• 1,972 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I thought Blue Jeans was working on something that we would pilot soon. We have had to disable a browser setting to permit Blue Jeans to work in Chrome. It is not a long term solution as the clock is ticking. Any updates?
Photo of Ash Azzopardi

Ash Azzopardi, Champion

• 5,978 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I tested this the second webrtc was released and it works fantastically on a chrome book
Photo of Kevin Toyama

Kevin Toyama

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
+1 would really like to see this working soon.  I rely on the video conferencing piece and that would making the switch to a chromebook that much easier.  Is there an ETA on when it will be available?

Photo of Community Team

Community Team, Community Admin

• 5,652 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Kevin,

No ETA still. However, you have come to the right place as our product team and execs do see this. The more voices the better for making change. Follow this thread to stay up to date! Thank you. 
Photo of Dan Benjamin

Dan Benjamin

Hello,

BlueJeans being supported on the ChromeBook is key to us as an existing customer remaining as one as we continue to keep our VC costs as low as possible so we can outfit as many rooms as possible with equipment and chromebooks are on the top of the list for this. Any update is appreciated.

BlueJeans Loyal Customer

Photo of Community Team

Hi Dan - Welcome to the Blue Jeans Community! We're happy to have you. Also, thanks for posting on this. Like we mentioned above, the more comments, the better! Stay tuned & make sure to follow this thread. 
Photo of Oliver Clark

Oliver Clark

Like Dan & Kevin, I'd be really keen to see Chromebook support, too - it'd make life a lot easier and much more cost-effective!
Photo of Bill Dorminy

Bill Dorminy

Same here! This would make my life a lot simpler!
Photo of Colin

Colin

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I too would love to see this
Photo of Community Team

Oliver, Bill, & Colin - thanks for the feedback. Our lead Product Manager, Alex Willen (commented above), is following this thread and we have passed on your note to your dedicated Customer Success Manager. We hear you loud and clear! Stay following this thread for updates. Thanks and welcome to the Blue Jeans Community! 

When you have a moment, be sure to introduce yourselves here
Photo of Community Team

Photo of Alex Willen

Alex Willen

Thanks to our fine community team for putting that out there. As the press release mentions, the product will be available in September, but I'm happy to discuss it in the mean time. If you'd like to get more information about it, please let your Customer Success Manager know, and we'll set up some time to chat.
Photo of Rob Corrao

Rob Corrao

• 460 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Please let us know if you need any beta testers as we have a number of chrome books deployed.
Photo of Brett Smith

Brett Smith

• 2,672 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Will do Rob - Thank you for your interest. 
Photo of Community Team

Thanks @Alex -

@Everyone - if you're unsure who your Customer Success Manager is, let us know here and we will have him or her reach out direct. Thanks!
Photo of Kevin Toyama

Kevin Toyama

Is this available yet?  Is it still targeted for "September"?   How can I find out who my customer success manager is?  Would be good to get notification from him or her directly.  Thanks!
Photo of Brett Smith

Brett Smith

• 2,672 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
@Kevin - We will have your CSM reach out to you this week. Ash is also in the loop if you want to connect. Thanks for your patience for this feature. 
Photo of Ash Azzopardi

Ash Azzopardi, Champion

• 5,978 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
/me waves
Photo of Rob Corrao

Rob Corrao

Is there any update on this?
Photo of Alex Willen

Alex Willen

Rob, not at the moment - in progress, but we still don't have an ETA to offer.
Photo of Victoria Green

Victoria Green

• 60 Points
Does the announcement that Chromebooks can now run some Android apps (http://chrome.blogspot.com/2014/09/first-set-of-android-apps-coming-to.html) a workaround for using BlueJeans on a Chromebook?  E.g., has anyone tried to run the BJ Android app on their Chromebook?
Photo of Tedd Fox

Tedd Fox, Official Rep

• 3,690 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Right now, we do not support Chromebooks with the Android app. 

@teddfox
Photo of Rob Corrao

Rob Corrao

@teddfox I think that the question is whether it will work, not whether it's supported.  There are a number of companies going to chromebooks and hosted desktops - the bluejeans/hangouts link isn't a good resolve since you cannot connect browser to hangout...just room systems.  We have been hearing that this is on its way for 8 months - we're starting to look for hacks and workarounds.
Photo of Dr Eichler

Dr Eichler

Looking forward to being able to use my Chromebook for BlueJeans - I've read above and know no ETA yet.
Photo of Aaron Pewtherer

Aaron Pewtherer

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Bueller? Gosh, I love watching a BJ meeting on mobile, instead of my Chromebook. My optometrist is making a fortune!
(Edited)
Photo of Dan

Dan

Any update on this? Huge USP for you if you can crack it
Photo of Alex Willen

Alex Willen

All, I apologize for the delays on this. We've renewed focus on our pluginless client - I'm still going to hold off on giving an ETA, but we are making good progress. I'll update here when we can commit to more concrete timelines.
Photo of Mike Levine

Mike Levine

• 734 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Alex, getting Chromebooks and Chome on Linux working would be outstanding for Linaro and our usage of Blue Jeans.   Thanks for your efforts and please update when you can.

Mike