The CPU usage in Blue Jeans on OSX with my 13" 2015 Retina Mac Book Pro is killing me!

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
The CPU usage in BlueJeans on OSX with my 13" 2015 Retina Mac Book Pro is killing me! Both with the BlueJeans App or Safari plugin, I notice my sytem's CPU is nearly pegged. Web browsing and other apps grind to a halt. Adding screen sharing into the mix leads to garbled voice on occasion, but generally just an awful user experience. Blue Jeans makes my new system feel like a junker! I don't notice heavy CPU usage with Skype on the same machine as well as a Mid-2012 13" MacBook Air. I spend a large part of some days in BlueJeans, and it's incredibly frustrating to see my system grind to a halt.

What plans are there for reducing CPU load using BlueJeans? 
Photo of Christopher Wawak

Christopher Wawak

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Radhika@BJsupport

Radhika@BJsupport, Official Rep

• 6,058 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Hi Christopher,

Sorry to hear your experience with Bluejeans meetings while connecting from your new machine.

Recently we have made CPU usage related improvements with our new bluejeans app version 1.6.188 ; this should help in reducing the CPU resource utilization.

We analyzed and compared stats of your personal meetings held on 24 Nov and 18 Nov from your MacBookPro machine . In first meeting you were using old version of bluejeans app 1.6.183 which shows system cpu load. The recent meeting held on 24 Nov shows new version 1.6.188 with less system cpu load.

Kindly monitor the CPU load with new version of bluejeans app in your upcoming meetings and let us know if issue still persists.

Photo of Timothy Hnat

Timothy Hnat

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I too am having significant problems with the CPU utilization by bluejeans.  I have attached a screenshot showing that there is no video on the screen, the CPU is near 100% utilization.  I suspect that the problem is related to you animated visualization on the screen when people are talking.   Can an option be provided to disable this graphic feature?

• 6,026 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Timothy,

Thank you for your feedback. We like to work with you in identifying the issue, could you please add this above information to an email and sent it to Support@bluejeans.com. It will automatically create a support case. Please include meeting id's attended by you wherein you experienced this issue with screenshot of activity monitor showing the CPU load.

Photo of Timothy Hnat

Timothy Hnat

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thank you.  I will submit a support request.
Photo of ssbarnea

ssbarnea

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The sad reality is that as of May 2017, BJ for Mac OS (Sierra) is a huge CPU hog and even crashing during long meetings (longer than 30mins).

On top of the range 13" MacBook Pro (2015 retina, 16GB RAM) with two cores i7 the CPU is 100% being split between BJ and kernel_task (bj related too). This is totally unnacceptable as none of all competitor apps has even half of this kind of CPU usage). I can barely use my computer while on BJ and I got feedback from other collegues at Red Hat that they started to use phone or ipads for BJ in order to be able use their computers during meetings. Most of them are on Linux so I am inclined to believe that at least the load issue is not limited to a single platform.

Stability is the second issue, and this became a problem only about 1-2 months ago. What happens is that the BJ app freezes with colorwheel of death but the audio and meeting still works. So unless you need video or chat you can continue to use audio. After thei you have to kill the app. This happens very often, probably on more than 50% meetings and only after being under use for ar least 15-30mins.
Photo of Wayne Boxall

Wayne Boxall

• 62 Points
Same for me. Just ripped through 42% of my 15" Macbook Pro battery in 45 minutes. Ridiculous!!!!

Hi Wayne,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have created support case 00342920 to address your issue.

Thank you,

Radhika Chatur
(Edited)
Photo of Tomas Rusnak

Tomas Rusnak

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I have same problem. After freeze, sound is working, then you need to use Force Quit. CPU and battery drain makes it unusable.
Photo of Lee Snyder

Lee Snyder, Official Rep

• 5,074 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello Tomas,

I have created a support ticket (00346666) to work with you on this issue.

Regards,
Lee
Photo of Tomer Yakir

Tomer Yakir

• 60 Points
I'm having the same experience on my MacBook Pro (mid 2015), El Capitan.

Hi Tomer,

I have created support case 00355654 to investigate your reported issue. I will reach out to you via email.

Thank you,

Radhika Chatur
Photo of sarrica

sarrica

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am also seeing tremendous slow downs with Blue Jeans 1.31.23 on macOS 10.13.1 on a MacBook Pro 2.4GHz i7 with 16G RAM. Things run very slowly and then the OS reports that the app is not responding. Force Quitting Blue Jeans returns the Mac to normal operation.
Photo of Lee Snyder

Lee Snyder, Official Rep

• 5,074 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello Stephen,

I will be happy to follow up with you via email on this issue. This is definitely not intended behavior for the BlueJeans App.

I have opened support ticket 00397023 for this issue and will be reaching out to you shortly!

Regards,
Lee - BlueJeans Support
Photo of sam lo

sam lo

• 62 Points
I would like to add that this is an issue that has been affecting me as well. When I open BlueJeans to join a large meeting (20+ participants) my entire system grinds to a halt. The kernel_task CPU usage shoots and sustains usage in the thousands of percent (literally the highest I  sustained CPU usage was 7000% +). At that point it's not even possible to force quit b/c even toggling between BJ and the Task Manager window or the Activity Monitor window takes minutes. 

The user experience is completely miserable and completely unacceptable. The following info lists out the system details:

OS Type Mac OSX 10.12.6 (Sierra)
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.7 
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
Memory: 16 GB

Browser Type Chrome 64.0.3282.186
IP Address 208.59.120.74
Javascript Enabled Yes
Cookies Enabled Yes
Color Depth 24
Screen Resolution 1440 x 900
Browser Window Size 1314 x 162
Flash Version Not Installed
User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/64.0.3282.186 Safari/537.36

Hi Sam,

Thank you for reporting the CPU usage issue with bluejeans app. Upon checking I see that you have already uploaded your bluejeans app logs. Support case 00432407 is raised to analyse the logs. You will receive an email from our support engineer with his/her findings and next steps to resolve the issue.

Thank you,

Radhika Chatur
Photo of Tesh Patel

Tesh Patel

• 60 Points
Has there been any improvements to the Bluejeans issue on MacOS. My battery is consistently drained using Bluejeans on Chrome on my 15" MBP with Chrome.