h.264 for better performance on laptops?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
I'm trying to see if there's any way to improve video quality on the Macbook Air.  Specifically, the sending video resolution is below 720p.  

I'm just guessing here, but I think using H.264 would use less CPU than using the VP8 codec, and would allow the quality to go higher?  We haven't had any issues with the MacBook Pro.  We've seen similar limitations with Google Hangouts.
Photo of Neal Pitts

Neal Pitts

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Neal - We are working on finding an answer for you, #staytuned
Photo of Philip - Lead Engineer

Philip - Lead Engineer, Customer Success Team

• 2,250 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi Neal,

We have a release coming up tentatively towards the end of this month that will assist with Mac Book Air performance.

Stay tuned

Thanks and have a great weekend
Photo of donmontalvo

donmontalvo

• 62 Points
Has this happened yet?
Photo of Lee Snyder

Lee Snyder, Official Rep

• 5,074 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello Don,

We cap the MacBook Air's resolution to 480p in our BlueJeans program due to processor speed issues we noticed with the device, causing overheating issues.

We do this to make sure the endpoints can still connect to the meeting and not permanently damage the device.

Regards,
Lee - BlueJeans Support
Photo of Wendy Hart

Wendy Hart

• 60 Points
So would an older MacBook not have this cap? (Circa 2011) I have a 2 year old MacBook air that I had planned to use for my Bluejean on camera FB live meetings, but I could also use my older MacBook. Thoughts?
Photo of Lee Snyder

Lee Snyder, Official Rep

• 5,074 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello Wendy,

If the device is not an air device, it may not have the cap on it. The best way to find out is to test. I know with some of the older MacBooks they will not upgrade to the OSX that requires the BlueJeans App as well as be able to upgrade to the most recent version of Chrome, so there could be possible quality issues that arise.

The BlueJeans App is supported on Mac OS X 10.9 and above so if you are on that and above you will be able to install the app. We have a demo room that is available 24 hours a day, you can join from our main page (https://www.bluejeans.com/), just look for the "Demo" button and click on it.

Regards,
Lee - BlueJeans Support