Content Sharing problems?

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
I am having issues with some of our Polycom systems. Content sharing is not working; when sharing it would quickly flash the content  for a brief moment and would disappear. I did fix the issue on one of the devices by using SIP rather than H.323, but it would not work on another device. Also, I have used BJN.VC, tried updating the Firmware, connected at 1024kbs and still no luck. My assumption is the issue is related to a setting on the specific devices. Suggestions on what to look for would be appreciated hopefully I can solve the issue. 
Photo of Christiaan Botha

Christiaan Botha

• 744 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • confused

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Craig Ernst

Craig Ernst, Champion

• 2,458 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Christian, I had the same issues with HDX9006 systems running a version of software that were fairly old, like 3.0.0.1 or 3.1.0.1. After updating to the latest.3.1.6 release this issue appears to have gone away, along with a variety of DHCP issues that appeared out of no where. We purely use H.323 here as well. An naturally, the network guys say nothing changed. I don't buy it.

Are you using similar systems and software versions by chance?
Photo of Melvin Ho

Melvin Ho

• 62 Points
Facing same issues with Cisco SX80. We are using a direct connection to the internet. No firewall.
Using SIP. Content flashes for a split second and than disappears. Any ideas?
Photo of Craig Ernst

Craig Ernst, Champion

• 2,458 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Melvin, what version of software are you running on the SX80? I just loaded the current release the other day so now I'm going to go test this again to make sure it isn't an issue that I over looked during my initial testing.
Photo of Marco Kelly

Marco Kelly, Sales Engineer

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The current version on my Polycom HDX 9002 work wells.  I do have SIP keep alive enabled, which essential broadcast the IP as to where the content should be sent.  MY SX 10 I did have to go back to software version:  TC7.2.0.aea6651  to receive content again.  When on 7.3.1, I did see  what you have experienced where the content flashed for a second and then disappeared.
Photo of Blake Gentner

Blake Gentner, Champion

• 788 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Have this same issue calling Cisco C90 to C90 through a traditional VCS-C/E stack (one C90 is registered to E, one to C).

I've upgraded the local C90 to 7.3.2 in hopes that this will fix it (the other unit is in Ghana and not quite as convenient to get to) but haven't had a chance to test yet.

This occurs as either a native 323 call or a SIP (local) to 323 (remote) traversal call.
(Edited)
Photo of Garry Bush

Garry Bush

• 60 Points

hi there

there problem for this case is NAT to the unit

I had the same issue and after I add the NAT setting it's work fine

Garry

(Edited)
Photo of Scott Schramm

Scott Schramm

• 638 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I can also confirm this behavior is usually a NAT issue. Our company had this issue with our Polycom and Lifesize units where the dual stream video would not work when sharing content (we use dual screens), once we opened ports on the firewall and tweaked the NAT setup it now works great.
Photo of Aviad Cohen

Aviad Cohen

• 60 Points
try twerking the NAT on and off in the Cisco unit. Checkpoint FW needs it turned off at the EP.
Photo of Zack Blum

Zack Blum, Champion

• 1,560 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi all... been a while since I've written here but when I saw this issue, knew it was time to jump in. As Garry, Scott and Aviad have shared, it's definitely a NAT issue. One of the annoying facts of life with H.323 on 2-screen setups is that the far end content stream is separate from far end video stream.

By default, most routers allow a connection back in on the way it originally went out, but will not allow (what it sees as as) arbitrary inbound connections. The far end video uses the original connection, but the content is a separate stream and is seen as an arbitrary inbound connection, so your router/FW drops it.

The solution is to NAT it in properly. This can be simple or easy depending on your video conferencing unit and your networking equipment. On most of our Polycom Group Series and network infra, we let the Polycom auto-discover its WAN IP and implement a port-based NAT. We have one office with a small Meraki Security Appliance/Router where we simply enabled standard port forwarding and everything worked great.

Hope that helps!
Photo of Stephen Antonucci

Stephen Antonucci

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Content Sharing - Dual Screen
Having content share "dual stream” that can display on a different monitor for a room system depends on couple of parameters:

1) Room system must support for H.239 (H.323) or BFCP (SIP) and have it enabled. This can be confirmed in the admin settings of the room system.
2) The display or monitor settings on the room system must be configured correctly to show main video and content share on separate monitors.
3) The room system must be properly configured for NAT traversal with the external public IP address. This can be usually be configured at the firewall or in the room system’s NAT settings. Recommend a static one-to-one NAT be configured at the firewall.
4) The IP/port range for BlueJeans must not be blocked.

Improperly configured NAT will in many cases cause the content shared to be transcoded into the main video channel and the result is seeing the content share on a single monitor with a small PIP (picture-in-picture) of the main video in the upper left hand corner. In some cases content will not appear at all.

Connections made to Blue Jeans cloud server, uses the following TCP and UDP ports. Make sure to allow these Firewall ports against BlueJeans's entire ip range here: 

• 199.48.152.0/22
  • 31.171.208.0/21
  • 103.20.59.0/24
  • 103.255.54.0/24
  • 8.10.12.0/24
  • 165.254.117.0/24
Note: Blue Jeans has several POPs distributed globally. The call will be automatically redirected to the closest/ native POP to the endpoint or media egress point.  Audio/video traffic will be routed to any of above ip range, based on geo location. Hence it's important that firewall ports are allowed against all the ip ranges shown above. Below are the ports that BlueJeans will use:

H.323 based Room System:
TCP Port   1720 - H.225 Signaling for H.323
TCP Ports  5000-5999 - H.245 Call Control for H.323
UDP Ports  5000-5999 - RTP Media

SIP based Room System (supported over TLS):
TCP Port    5060 - SIP Signaling
TCP Port    5061 - SIPS (TLS) Signaling
UDP Ports  5000-5999 - RTP Media

Ports on your endpoint side can be set by room system or your firewall.

Please Note: Some firewalls, such as Palo Alto Networks, prefer to filter network traffic based on the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN). If this applies to your firewall configuration please use the following FQDN in order to connect to Blue Jeans: bjn.vc
Photo of Joseph Ng

Joseph Ng

• 786 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi Stephen,

For SIP base connection working with PA firewall, would you mind sharing your policy setting?

I can only manage to set H323 working normally towards Bluejeans with PA firewall that allow incoming H225, H323, H245 traffic to the 1-to-1 NAT IP.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Antonucci

Stephen Antonucci

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Joseph,

Palo Alto Firewall generally use the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) bjn.vc as mentioned. Take a look at this document in the BlueJeans KB Firewall Setup and NAT Configuration Guide for Room Systems

If still have questions or issues, I suggest opening a support case with Blue Jeans Customer Support.
Photo of Mark Mason

Mark Mason

• 70 Points
Having same issues on Polycom Real Presence Group 300, 500, & 700 systems.  IT doesn't think it is a firewall issue.  Unable to find any settings in the codec that mention H.239
Photo of Christiaan Botha

Christiaan Botha

• 744 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have found the solution - you have to go to the physical device and enable content sharing under the management console. The issue is not related to BJ or the network. If you need more info I can give you the outlined steps.
Photo of Craig Ernst

Craig Ernst, Champion

• 2,438 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
There is a lot of just minor differences from HDX to RPG models I've found. The particular thing I reported is that in the HDX units you can tell it to not automatically start sending content when it detects it on the content input. You can't do that with RPG systems any longer. When I boot up a room sometimes one screen is black because it's sending content for a source that isn't even selected yet in the room. But yes, as you've pointed out, content sharing needs to be enabled.
Photo of Mark Mason

Mark Mason

• 70 Points
Christiaan, yes I would like the steps. I have logged into the admin of the codec and can't find where to enable content.
Hello Everybody, 
I'm having this issue with Cisco SX10 behing one Cisco ISR 1921,
I've  even configured a static NAT for the SX10 but still not seen the presentation, I've doble checked and no ACL is configured on the interfaces. 
I also configured static nat for this device, but nothing changed.

How did you solve this issue?

Thanks for your help.
(Edited)
Photo of Lee Snyder

Lee Snyder, Official Rep

• 5,576 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello Kevin,

I would recommend checking the NAT settings as stated above.

Regards,
Lee - BlueJeans Support