Anyone experienced same problem of H323 packet loss in SGP POP?

• Problem
  • Updated 11 months ago
My offices are in the Asia regions so all my H323 endpoints (mainly polycom and cisco) connect to the SGP POP except Japan routes to US.

All these endpoints experienced packet loss (usually transmit but also affect receive sometimes) in both video and audio traffic.

This has been significantly alerting me since January-2016 while it seemed no findings from the support team yet.  The Asia Sales Manager even accused me this problem should be caused by ISP from the client side thus not the fault on Bluejeans.  And there was no any additional clients complaining the same.  This drove me crazy.

From the connection details under command center, I can see many other external parties connecting our Bluejeans meetings also experienced the same.

So I am posting here and want to see if this is true that I am the only victim.
Photo of Joseph Ng

Joseph Ng

• 786 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • bad

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Tom Caviar

Tom Caviar

• 60 Points
Hi Joseph, 
Rest assured we are working diligently to identify and correct the issues you are having. 
Photo of Bernard Chan

Bernard Chan

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi, I wonder if this issue has been resolved now.  We are in Hong Kong and are also experiencing the same.
Photo of Joseph Ng

Joseph Ng

Finally someone (besides myself) from Asia particular Hong Kong.

Hi Bernard, the SGP POP connectivity has been much better after mid-April.  Do you want to share with me what have you been experiencing?
Photo of Bernard Chan

Bernard Chan

Sure.  The video quality sometimes is very bad and based on the report provided by BlueJeans the "Network Cum Loss" is quite high.
Photo of Joseph Ng

Joseph Ng

Is your VC on a dedicated internet with public IP?  Or is it shared with your other internet traffic?  Do you see the network packet loss only from transmit/receive or both directions?  Can you capture a sample stats for reference? 
Photo of Bernard Chan

Bernard Chan

It's shard with other Internet traffic.  We do see packet loss on both but they might not be happened at the same time.  The quality of the Video is just very random.
Photo of Joseph Ng

Joseph Ng

You may need to do several tests for isolation.  1) Make a point to point VC with a HK endpoint; 2) Make a point to point VC with a SGP endpoint.  3) Remove all other internet traffic and test the BJN connection with any endpoints

Compare the performance against your experience in BJN. 

The shared bandwidth could be an issue if you did not reserve the bandwidth of in/out traffic for the VC endpoint.
Photo of Bernard Chan

Bernard Chan

Thanks for your tips.  Just wonder if you use dedicated Internet traffic for BJN or shared?
Photo of Joseph Ng

Joseph Ng

We are quite serious about VC so we dedicate separate internet pipe for VC and VOIP.

Of coz, for the app base (aka PC/mobile), we still use BJN on the shared internet bandwidth.

From your case, even you are in a shared bandwidth, you may try to prioriotize or reserve the bandwidth for your endpoint.
(Edited)
Photo of Bernard Chan

Bernard Chan

Great.  Do you still have performance issue now? 

Photo of Joseph Ng

Joseph Ng

I have been actively monitoring the performance issue over BJN.  By the time the incident was reported, it was caused by the SGP-HK submarine cables cut in 29-Feb-2016.  And BJN had its difficulty in managing Asia telcos to streamline the cross-routing.

After mid-Apr, all major submarine cables were resumed.  Then I did not see any significant quality impact on BJN so far.
Photo of Toh Chern San

Toh Chern San

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi, we recently signup for Bluejeans and our users are making calls from Malaysia. We have a 100mbps lease line in office, mainly connect to Bluejeans Singapore server -
turns-103-20-59-11.bjn.vc and few others within Singapore.

Our users experiencing call drop most of the time when there is more than 3 people joining the call within the same office using different machines.

Is the issue still persist?

(Edited)
Photo of Lee Snyder

Lee Snyder, Official Rep

• 5,084 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello Toh,

It appears that we have a ticket open for you (00380953) regarding this issue. I will follow up with the agent to see what they have found.

Regards,
Lee - BlueJeans Support
Photo of Joseph Ng

Joseph Ng

Hi,

Can you get more detail at the endpoint level or command center level showing transmit/receive packet loss stats?  I have been using the SGP POP on a daily basis across the whole asia including HK, CN, JP, SGP and India.  In general the connections were pretty good.

Also you mentioned the single point of failure within a single location that also looks like the local internet bandwidth and  quality issue that I believe you should isolate the problem as well.

Best Regards,
Joseph
Photo of Toh Chern San

Toh Chern San

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I do not understand how to read this stat. We have total of 4 users calling from Malaysia office and only one person video out quality is not acceptable.
Also what is the concurrent endpoint and total endpoint mean?

Photo of Lee Snyder

Lee Snyder, Official Rep

• 5,074 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello Toh,

The information that is apparent in the stats are as follows:
  • Bitrate: This value measures the Internet Bandwidth used, 
    in kbps (kilo bits per second)
  • Jitter: This value measures the variation in the delay on 
    RTP packet flow (ms = milliseconds)
  • Loss %: This value measure the number of packets lost in form of %
  • Frame Rate (fps): Video Frames Tx (transmit) or Rx (receive) per sec
  • Video In: Video data sent into BlueJeans Network
  • Video Out: Video data received from BlueJeans Network
When viewing the stats in Command Center, any data that is over our critical measurements should appear in red. You can view our Command Center guide that dives into greater details here:

https://bluejeans.app.box.com/v/CommandCenterGuide

Regards,
Lee - BlueJeans Support
Photo of Joseph Ng

Joseph Ng

Hi Toh,

From your command center screenshot, just realized that all your users connects from bluejeans app by desktop/mobile.  From this I believe you need to understand what your internet line actually performs and/or whether your network infrastructure prohibits bluejeans traffic without your awareness.  When you mentioned you have 100M leased line, such 100M is more or less the domestic bandwidth.  Can you try the below and provide more information?

1) Can you use a computer to run a speed test towards all possible SGP speedtest.net site and get the average REAL international internet bandwidth towards SGP?

2) Can you isolate the leased line by directly connect to the same computer and perform a speed test towards all possible SGP speedtest.net site and get the average REAL international internet bandwidth towards SGP?

The above is to identify your real bandwidth to/from SGP in a pure direct connection vs behind your office infrastructure.

Best Regards,
Joseph
(Edited)